Students will be given 45 minutes to read and respond to Question 1 and then 5 minutes to upload their response.
Question 1 (45 mins.)
% of exam weight (rounded)
Prose Fiction Analysis
This question presents students with a passage of prose fiction of approximately 500–700 words, and assesses students’ ability to do the following:
- Respond to the prompt with a thesis that presents a defensible interpretation.
- Select and use evidence to support a line of reasoning.
- Explain how the evidence supports a line of reasoning.
- Use appropriate grammar and punctuation in communicating an argument.
Corresponding free-response question (FRQ) type in the course and exam description binder
- The single question on the 2020 AP English Literature and Composition Exam is a Prose Fiction Analysis question, which is FRQ 2 on a traditional AP Exam and in the CED. It is referred to as Question 1 because the 2020 exam has just that one question.
- The prompt will not include the title and author of the passage. Otherwise, the prompt will match the stable prompt language found in the CED.
Units eligible for 2020 exam
Units not included in 2020 exam